On November 7th, Christians gathered from across the country at Concordia Theological Seminary to discuss the cross of barrenness, adoption, pastoral care for the barren, and issues of ethical contention surrounding assisted reproductive technologies.
Presentations given at the symposium included:
- “The Cross of Barrenness” by Katie Schuermann
- “In Vitro Fertilization” by Dr. Donna Harrison
- “Adoption: What Are Children to Us?” by Rev. Philip Zielinski
- “The Ethics of Snowflake Adoption” by Rev. Scott Stiegemeyer*
- “Pastoral Care for Those Experiencing Infertility” by Rev. Michael Salemink
Thank you to LCMS Life Ministry for sponsoring this free event and for supporting the church in its ongoing conversation about infertility ethics.
If you would like to hear any of the presentations listed above, you can access the audio files here.
* The authors of this blog are not in full agreement with conclusions made in this presentation regarding embryo adoption’s relationship to the sanctity of marriage and the IVF industry. We are prayerfully considering writing more on this topic in the future.